Friday 10 December 2010

Judge Spotlight - Pemberly Rose

As written by Leanne Golightly

Before the OC Awards, I'd never spoken to Pemberly Rose, but one of the beauties of organising something like this has been meeting new people and, hopefully, making new friends.  For me, Pemberly now has a background and a personality behind the penname and the story that I’ve seen pop up regularly—I already had her fic on my “To Read” list.


You can find Pemberly Rose on Fanfiction.net, Twilighted, and My Vamp Fiction, or you can tweet with her as PemberlyRoseXOX. She also blogs at Hybrid Theory, a Jacob/Nessie pairing fic site—blog twitter hybridtheoryXxo.

Her multi-chapter, Life in Technicolor, is an NC-17 rated post-Breaking Dawn Renesmee/Nessie centric story and very canon.  Renesmee is now sixteen years of age and has lived a pretty charmed life so far, with all her family and friends around her.  Jacob Black (hey, I know that guy) is her best friend, and things get complicated when it seems their relationship is changing.  An imprint is not a pretty happily-ever-after with a bow wrapped around it, and Nessie has some choices to make, which will inevitably involve sacrifice along the way.

Pemberly has only very recently posted Breathe Me, a Life in Technicolor spin-off. You may already be aware that Leah hasn’t exactly had an easy time of things...understatement. In this post-Breaking Dawn fic, Leah meets Amber, an OC from LIT, and cue some femmeslash fun!

Some of her favourite stories are Sins of the Piano Man by Solareclipses, Cauchemar Vivant by Lunar Siren, Secret Sex by Erinbatt, Legendary by WhatsmyNomdeplume, Hold On by Todream, The Dawn Was Already Broke n by Forever Without Him, Hands on Me by IndependenceIndividuality and 101-South by JKane180.

Click here for Pemberly’s review on The Disillusioned by PhoenixRising25 at Twific Promotions.

Life in Technicolor has been reviewed and recommended in the following places:
Twilight Awards Under the Radar
Twific Promotions
The Fictionator's: PWN's of the Week 7/22/10 and PWN's of the Week 7/29/10
Tazz's Twilight Obsession (link no longer active)
My Vamp Fiction - Review by SusanAshlea
My Vamp Fiction Author Spotlight - Interview by SusanAshlea
PhaseFics Weekly Fic Rec - Review by Todream

It has also received numerous awards nominations:
Faithful Shipper Awards–Best Canon and Best Gut Dropping Line
Twitastic Awards–Best Jacob/Renesmee
Hidden Star Awards–Best Canon, You Cliffy Bitch and Best Kiss
Avante Garde Awards Round One–Best Novice Author and Best Canon Pairing


Here is an excerpt from Life In Technicolor Chapter 24 “Hybrid Theory”:

Trail's all clear if any of you need to hunt. I'll be at the garage 'til six. Love you.

I tried and failed to ignore the flush of heat that nineteen innocuous words inspired in me. Garrett shot me a look as I sprawled out on the opposite side of the couch, my thumbs making quick work of my reply.

Love you, too. Thank you, Jazz needs to hunt, as do I. I miss you. Any chance I can see you tonight?

Alice came down the stairs, rubbing her temples. I gave her a sympathetic glance. "What's wrong, Tink?" Garrett asked. I barely stifled a snicker. Jacob had called Alice Tinkerbelle just once in front of our dear cousin Garrett years ago when I was still a small child. The name had stuck much to the dismay of my Lilliputian aunt.

She swat the back of his head and sat down. "Oh, nothing, just… It's hard enough to get a read on the future with one half breed in the house. Now there's six," she sighed, flicking through the pages of Time. She looked at me with a gleam in her eyes. "Please let me know when the wolves decide to come over. I thought I'd grown used to it, but still this whole blind thing is really annoying. Especially now," she huffed, loudly turning the page.

I chuckled at her. "I'm sure it sucks to be so normal," I jested.

She glowered in return. I shrunk back just a little. Alice maybe nanoscale but she made up for it in her effective intimidation skills. Even Jacob was terrified of her at times and he was almost two feet taller than she.

My phone buzzed and the simple fact I reached for it so quickly made both Alice and Garrett chuckle at my enthusiasm. They didn't have any room to talk, however, Garrett followed his Kate around no matter where they went. Alice was even worse than I was. When you looked at Alice and Jasper together it was clear that if one did not exist, then neither could the other. The magnetism they had for each other was truly one of the most magnificent things I'd ever seen in my life.

Miss you more. I think I can swing by tonight for a few hours. We've beefed up security on the Rez... too many bloodsuckers to play it fast and loose you know?

Jacob hadn't been by the house much – a fact that pained me greatly. The separation was difficult though I knew he wasn't far. Punctuating that thought, pain rippled across my chest, threatening to rip it apart. On instinct, my arms hugged my torso to keep it from happening. At least there had been some consolation. He was patrolling near constantly when he wasn't at the garage in Forks. But late at night I could hear the faintest howl on the wind. It reminded me of the sacrifice he was making. Responsibilities with the garage and pack life were far more important than lazing about with me. He didn't seem to think so. He'd been more upset than I was that he had to be so distant. The pain must be hurting him just the same. In some ways I welcomed the pain. It was a reminder of what I had. The love I'd given him. As much as I disliked this intensely I knew it was important. He had to prepare for war just as we had to. New members of the pack were certainly going to be springing up and he needed to be prepared to train them.

No comments:

Post a Comment