Wednesday 8 December 2010

Judge Spotlight - Nolebucgrl

As written by Leanne Golightly

Like Rameau, I first stumbled across Nolebucgrl during the Silence of the Wolves Contest.  An excerpt of one of her stories was used as one of the examples of how to kill a wolf and around this time, I first checked out Taste of Innocence. More about that in a moment...


Nole has written a number of awesome stories.  First up is the completed multi-chapter Sacrificial Lamb, which is an M-rated, end of Eclipse AU/Canon fic, approached from the angle of Jacob and Bella as just friends and replacing SM’s Breaking Dawn. 

Hands up everyone who thought SM made Bella a little too perfect in BD?  That many, huh?  Well, Nolebucgrl still provides a wedding, a honeymoon and immortality for Bella, but no babies or squicky imprints, and more of a sense that making major life choices involves some sacrifice along the way.  There are also a number of outtakes to accompany the main multi-chapter.


First and Ten opens up with a bang...in the locker room between aspiring sports writer, Bella, and hot quarterback, Edward Cullen.  The first chapter lemon is all kinds of awesome...check it out and you’ll see.  If you develop a thing for athletic guys, check out the thread on Twilighted

And now, in my humble opinion, we come to the biggie.  Taste of Innocence. Oh my lordy Lord, how do I begin to describe my love for this fic?

First, I have to mention that I reached ExB saturation point a while ago, but there are a few stories I make an exception for.  This is one of them.  Why?  Because it’s goddamn AMAZING, of course

Edward, or Smugward as he is affectionately known, is VERY OOC from the emo, tortured eternal teen we know from the Twilight saga.  He is very much a red-eyed bad boy in this story...and anyone who knows me knows I prefer my vamps this way.  Living off the dregs of society, Edward longs for someone a little more innocent to satisfy his hunger to add a little variety to his diet.  Enter Bella Swan.

I could go on forever about the best parts of this stellar fic, but in a nutshell here are the moments that stand out for me.

  1. Cockblockage on an epic scale.  I’m female, but damn if my own unmentionables weren’t turning blue.
  2. Bella’s obsession with TV vampires.  Something for us all to identify with.
  3. The novel approach of dowsing yourself in blood to attract the attention of a certain newborn female.
  4. The mid story interviews with Bella and Smug.
  5. Killer OCs—on an epic scale.  I was literally gutted that Willow the Cow  and Leanne the kick-ass prostitute (sexy AND informative—what more could a vamp on a mission want?) didn’t get a nomination for the OC Awards. (Judges weren’t allowed to nominate, but if I could have...)

Trust me, you will be glad you checked this fic out.  Don’t believe me?  Get on twitter and get a second opinion from Smugward, or drop by the Taste of Innocence Twilighted thread.  Try it, and trust me...you will want one of these babies, too.

Other stories on Fanfiction.net by Nolebucgrl include:
Bite of Darkness  – A collection of Taste of Innocence Outtakes.
Dinner Dates – Rosalie/Emmett. Collab with Rameau.
Bad Girlfriend – Possessiveward and Teasella.  Collab with InfinityPoet.
Stealing Home – Another sporty ExB...this time the game is baseball.


And my write up wouldn’t be complete without a quick excerpt.  Consider this a potty-mouth warning—Edward curses a little.  Okay—a lot!

Taste of Innocence, Epilogue 1:

It wasn't like she hadn't been putting out heavy fucking hints lately. She constantly had that fucking wedding channel on and made me watch those insane bitch brides going off on their friends and family as the pressure of the wedding brought out their insanity. I'd constantly had to ask her why the fuck anybody wanted to marry the women in the first place because the first time my would-be wife acted like that would be the last fucking time she'd be my would-be wife.

Bella, of course, would just fucking laugh and say that's why she'd never want a big wedding. Okay, baby, message fucking received. It's not like we had a shitload of people in our lives to invite anyway. We could invite her father, who now knew about me after she told him about Jacob "abandoning" her in Barbados, leaving her high and dry like the douche that he was. I had swooped in to rescue her, the knight in shining armor, which was quite fucking hilarious. He still wasn't happy with her but they talked weekly while she and I traveled the world, or so he fucking thought anyway.

Her friends were no longer really her friends. She'd spoken to Alice a time or two but the rift of their separation was a bit too much to overcome and though it hurt Bella, it was really better in the fucking long run. Alice would live a human life and die a human death and it would only hurt my girl to be a part of that. Rose had gotten knocked up by some one night stand and returned home to wherever the fuck she was from. I didn't really give a shit because she was unworthy of my Bella anyway.

Demetri and his Volturi fuck friends were a definite fucking no, even though he faithfully called us every couple of months to check in and make sure we were still doing well. What the fuck ever, like he wasn't the most transparent fucker in the world? We both knew what he wanted and neither of us was fucking fooled. The worst was when he'd put Alec on the fucking phone to tell me all about some ridiculous new piece of art featuring naked men that he adored. Like I was going to be fucking turned on by that? Please. They wanted us to visit and maybe someday we would but I really fucking doubted it.

No, it was just the two of us as it should be. After she said yes, I could just whisk her away to City Hall and we could be done with it in a matter of minutes. No fuss, no big fucking deal. Why the fuck did it have to feel like one?

No comments:

Post a Comment