Saturday 11 December 2010

Judge Spotlight - Javamomma0921

As written by Leanne Golightly

I first met Javamomma0921 through Twimpage, where she wrote a small review of my first ever one shot.  Since then, I’ve kept in touch via Twitter, and Java has done some beta work for me in the past when I’ve tweeted pleas for help.  She’s a sensible clued up lady, not to mention an amazing author, and this is why I asked her to be a judge.


You can find Javamomma on Fanfiction.net, Twilighted, and Twitter. Jen is a pretty prolific author, writing both fan fiction and original pieces, and she also does a lot of beta-ing—for three regular authors and some ad hoc work.

Her first serious fic was The Life and Death of Edward Anthony Masen, which has been nominated for three OC Awards: Best Multi-Chapter, Best Non-NC17, and Seamless Slot In for her OC, Anna. Entirely deserved—read it and see.

Jen is a sucker for a historical romance, and this exceptionally well-written story begins in 1918, following a seventeen-year-old human boy called Edward—the name might ring a few bells.  You are given a taste of Edward’s life, leading up to his brush with Spanish Influenza and his entry into the supernatural world.  There are some excellent original characters which really help lift Edward’s human life off the pages, and this completed story is very addictive.  

Another of Jen’s stories that I fell in love with is The Lady’s Champion, a short three chapter medieval romp. Sir Edward of Aquitaine falls for Lady Isabella—with historically accurate dialogue and lemons. If you get a kick out of this era, like me, I heavily suggest you check it out!

Javamomma’s current work-in-progress is All That Jazz. It’s a rip-roaring tale of orphaned sisters, Bella and Alice Swan, who go to live with their scandalous Aunt Esme.  This is an AH/AU, set in 1919, when a lot of changes were afoot with regards how women portrayed themselves. Of course, there is a heavy dose of Edward, but what really makes this story for me is the relationship between the women.

After attempting to write something set in the past myself, I can really appreciate exactly how much hard work Jen must put in when writing her stories.  She manages to blend historical accuracy with a highly compelling, sexy yet plausible plotline, and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend any of her stories.  All That Jazz has had write ups and recommendations on numerous blogs, and both multi-chapters have been nominated for awards previously.

Nominations:

The Life and Death of Edward Anthony Masen
Faithful Shipper Awards – Finalist for Best Canon Story
Shimmer Awards – Best Pre-Twilight
Bring Me to Life Awards – Eddie Award

All That Jazz
Bring Me to Life Award – Blast from the Past
All Human Award – Story That Had You Hooked for Drama
Hidden Star Award – Most Original Story

Using Javamomma’s own words, she says that she loves writing for the fandom, and is grateful for the books and community for the friendships she has made, many of which have crossed over into her real life.


Excerpt from Java’s latest update:

All That Jazz Chapter 13 “Happy Birthday, Edward!”

Sunday, June 20, 1920

"I'm proud of you, you know that?"

Alice was sitting in the window seat embroidering a vest for Jasper, but she had dropped her work to her lap and sat watching me. I was worrying over my gift for Edward, turning it this way and that in front of me and trying to decide on the best way to wrap it. I looked up at her, framed in the window with the sunlight streaming around her face, and smiled.

"What a strange thing to say, Alice," I said, shaking my head. "What made you say it?"

She smiled and folded her hands in her lap.

"Look at you," she said, turning her head from side to side. "You've grown so much in the past months, Bella."

"You sound like Aunt Esme," I said, blushing.

She hopped off of the window seat and walked over to the table where I was working. It was still strange seeing her with her new hair cut. She'd gone with Aunt Esme and Rosalie to get the short, pageboy cut that was so popular of late. They offered to take me, but I declined. I rather liked being able to wear my hair up or down and didn't think the short cut was terribly attractive either. Though, I had to admit, Alice looked wonderful. Secretly, I worried that Edward wouldn't find it as attractive, but I didn't say that out loud. I liked when his fingers ran through the strands of my hair far too much to think about cutting it all off.

No comments:

Post a Comment